Sunday, July 7, 2013

Martin, by Andrew Weaver



Today I am reentering the realm if science fiction, with a book by an indie author. Martin, by Andrew Weaver. I am not sure what to think about this book, if you want the truth. There are many positive, wonderful points about it, and yet…but I believe any book that keeps you thinking is well worth reading and this book most definitely does that.

The Blurb:
This is a story told through the eyes of Martin a recently retired banker. Within weeks of returning to his home village he meets up with Alistair – an old school friend. Unsure how he will make use of his free time, Martin agrees to take up the intriguing offer from Alistair and get involved in his secret project.

Martin has never married, nor has he had any children. These are all facts and part of his life memories. At least, that’s what he thinks he remembers. However, since his involvement with Alistair’s project, Martins life changes forever – and continues to change in all manner of inexplicable ways. As the weeks go by, Martin comes to realise that he can no longer be sure of anything, anybody, or even his past life. Is he really losing his mind and going mad? Or are others now controlling his life and possibly manipulating his destiny?

My Review:
I loved the character of Martin. He is inquisitive and analytical, and yet he is a bit of a romantic. Martin is open to new experiences.  I enjoyed the science aspects of the dream project, and I like the way the author connected the world of dreams with interdimensional travel and the projection of the personality of the traveler into another similar but slightly different dimension. With all the recent scientific theories it seems to be a common theme in sci-fi tales nowadays, and I like the twist that Weaver gives this plot in that his subjects’ bodies remain but their consciousness travels. The interweaving of Martin’s dreams with his reality is quite well done.

All of the characters are clearly drawn, and the environment is logical and well-crafted. If I have any complaint it is that the editing was somewhat lacking, which interferes with the flow of the story at times. There are some places where an unbiased eye could have brought out the real potential for greatness this book has—but that is the curse of the indie author. None of the flaws were enough to make me stop reading it, and I enjoyed it.

I believe the fact that it doesn’t really have a satisfying end is a setup for another book. This may turn readers off; I admit I felt a bit let down by the non-ending.  Over all, I give this book four stars, and will definitely read the sequel when it is published.

No comments: