Friday, April 12, 2013

A Lesson for the Cyclops, Jeffrey Getzin




Today I am reviewing a novella.  As you know, I normally like my fantasy like I like my heroes—Big, Epic and Gorgeous, but I always make an exception for the work of indie author +JeffreyGetzin. Despite this being a novella, Jeffrey Getzin succeeds on ALL counts! A Lesson for the Cyclops is a wonderful way to spend an evening and it features one of my favorite characters from Getzin’s first novella, Shara and the Haunted Village.

First  I want to say that the cover for this novella is one of the most beautiful covers I have see this year! The cover art is done by the fabulous +Carol Phillips, and is a great example of fantasy art. She also did the fantastic covers for Getzin's 'Shara and the Haunted Village' and 'Prince of Bryanae.'

The Blurb
Maria leads a lonely existence of silent misery. Horribly disfigured, she earns a meager living as a sideshow freak. Her very existence is one of mockery, contempt, and ridicule. She has no hope, no dreams. No future.

But when a dashing swordsman stumbles onto the circus grounds, wounded and feverish, Maria is able to imagine a life beyond the confines of her dreary world. Could a swashbuckling hero ever fall for a freak like her?

My Review
A Lesson for the Cyclops picks up the tale of D'Arbignal, the hero from Getzin's wonderful novella, Shara and the Haunted Village (Bryanae). When the tale opens, our hero finds himself in a bit of a pickle. He manages to extricate himself and stir things up with his usual panache. 

A terribly disfigured woman whose pain and suffering is handled with compassion by the author, a circus with many wonderful minor characters, jealousy, romance and revenge--all combine to make this novella true classic. I must confess, I am a bit in love with D'Arbignal and I am now champing at the bit to get my hands on the next tale of my favorite swordsman.

I want to see D’Arbignal with his own novel!  Mr. Getzin, please write me a story—a nice, loooong, epic saga of D’Arbignal’s adventures!


No comments: